Friday, July 30, 2010

Why do teenagers value their cell phone so much?

It is associated with some as a lifeline for teens, but strictly speaking (I am a teen, I would know) it can be a sign of status- ie, expensive cellphone=cool. It also makes one feel connected, and maybe popular, like how many numbers we have in our Address Book. It sort of gives a sense of power, if that even makes sense. Also, it follows the trend- almost everybody now has cellphones, and if you don't, you are ';out of it.'; Which sucks, so everybody wants cellphones. Even if they barely use theirs, like me ;)Why do teenagers value their cell phone so much?
It is an easy 'distraction' from life. Life is hard. Most people constantly try to escape from 'reality'. Cell phones make daily escape easy. How sad.Why do teenagers value their cell phone so much?
Because it is their ';lifeline.'; And I think they become addicted to texting...
It's really really sad.





I'm a high school teacher, and I'm always having to take the stupid things away. They interfere with the ability of the student to focus on something actually important to their future.





My guess it is their way of staying in touch with the whole entire world.





Plus some teens don't know how to read an analog clock (for the schools that have them - and many still do) so they value their cell phones because they tell the time for them, in digital format.





I feel a little scared for the future.
Vibrate mode - 'nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment