Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you wake up teenagers for school?

We have a 16 year old who has a hard time getting up for school. (Who doesn't have a hard time at that age, gezz). Question is: Parents: do you wake up your kids or do you make them do it on their own? Sometimes it's tempting to just let them be late for school and deal with it.


Teens: do / did you get up on your own or does someone help?How do you wake up teenagers for school?
They should have their own (loud) alarm clock. Then, parents do need to check that the teen is getting reading in time for school. It's a pain, but it's the parent's responsibility to make sure they attend school until they turn 18.How do you wake up teenagers for school?
my mom use to come in and sing .Hey, hey you lazy head get your hiney out of bed. sang it like a cheerleader. Then she would turn on my stereo and leave the room if I was not up when she returned she would turn it up a little louder and continue until I would finally get out of bed.

Report Abuse



put drops of ice cold water on the outer rim of their ear. the cold sensation sliding down the ear will make them jump up





cruel, funny, and it works
I would ask them how they would like to handle it......you stand there and nag at them for half an hour...or just let them be late. Don't offer to drop everything and shuttle them to school if they won't get up. Another alternative.... a cup of ice water will make even the laziest teenager get up out of bed. And if you do that a few times....you shouldn't have any problem getting them out of bed.
I love this question because I have been struggling with this for some time now. My second son would sleep till one in the afternoon and that would just drive me up a wall. (OK if he went out the night before I can understand) Because I harassed him about it for years. When his bigger brother went abroad to study he told me that he was getting an apt. I said OK if you feel that you are a man go ahead. He has his apt now but does not keep it clean wears are always piled high in the sink and the apt is always dusty with things thrown about. My advice is to buy an alarm clock for them. I know it is frustrating
Make them get up. Determine what time they need to wake and make them get up. Soon enough their body will not be abelt o sleep past that time or much past that time. My daughter taught me this. I can no longer sleep past 0630.
you can throw another 16 year old kid very hard in his face, when the morning has come. The kid of your neighbour for example: if he have problem to wake too,then you can solve two problems in one...
First buy an alarm clock. They will later figure out the snooze button and hit it while they are asleep. Go into their room and give your kids a wake up massage. My uncle tried it with all 5 of his kids and it worked. Within seconds they were up an also very happy.
If you don't already do this, get up early enough to cook them breakfast. It's amazing how the smell of food can motivate kids - it's all behavioral science. Your 16 yo is old enough to use an alarm clock, so get him one. Science has already determined that teenagers' circadian rhythms make them stay up late and sleep late. The only reason we can figure school systems don't change school hours for middle school and high schoolers is that the timeframe doesn't coincide with parents' work schedules. Having your child participate in sports helps tire them out so they want to go to bed earlier. You'll do your children a favor by making them responsible for getting themselves up. It's part of being an adult and part of preparation for the real work world.
I usually get myself up but sometimes, if i don't get up on time my mom will yell up for me to get up and I do.
I got up on my own as a teen, because if we were late it was baaaad....i would say get him/her an alarm that has a radio feature (much easier to wake up that way). Make it so that they want to be on time...like they have to take the bus to school if they sleep in or they dont get breakfast or something if they dont get up on time. For my sister and I, if we were late we had to catch a bus when it was really crazy and crowded, and we HATED it...we were ALWAYS on time!


If this doesnt work, open their door and turn on the light. If you have a dog, send the dog in to jump on your kid. In general, if they wake up more pleasantly they will be more likely to stay up.
A bucket of cold water.apply once only as they usually wake up without any problems afterwards.
I have 2 teens who sleep upstairs from me...every morning I holler for them to get up and the do. BUT alarm clocks can do the same thing.
APPROACH WITH CAUTION (lol)





When my son was 16 he had to be in bed by eleven because he had to be up by 6..that's not even getting 8 hrs of sleep but he didn't even like that 11:00pm bedtime...they think cause they are teens they can be up at all hours - but even if they were adults - with a job sometimes that means getting up early - so you have to go to bed early like it or not...so if it's just a matter of schedule - he's 16 ..time to learn responsibility - he's going to have college and/or work in two years - must get used to it now..





But...





Some teens no matter how early they may get to bed...just need more sleep because they are teens..however, STILL have to get up and at 'em in the morning...parents are going to be around to drag their lil behinds out of bed for the rest of their lives..and it's a learned thing..you have to have that down pat in your teens to survive later on...or they miss classes in college or can't keep jobs for showing up late all the time....gotsta gotsta learn.





If they aren't out of bed on time and late for school...I grounded 'em. Period. End of conversation..lol
my kids use an alarm clock - hasn't failed yet
cattle prods generally do quite well....
Well, I know this is not the information you are looking for, but if they miss a few days in school and have to serve time in a juvenile detention center, it may wake them up!





I raised five teens - and yes they were hard to get up for school -- but mainly, if I ensured they got to bed at least by 10 (earlier if possible), it was always easier. I gave them an additional couple of dollars also at the end of each week on Friday if they were up and made it to school every day without being tardy. This helped a lot!
You just answered you own question, Go ahead, succumb to temptation, %26amp; let him be late. There's nothing like a good'ol negative consequence to motivate someone.


To be fair though, lay it on the line. Tell him, no more wake up calls. Tomorrow it's his responsibility to get the necessary sleep, set his own alarm, %26amp; wake up %26amp; get to his 1st class ON TIME.


He probably knows the consequenses that he'll meet at school if he's late, but feel free to lump on a few of your own too.


He's 16 not 5. So it's time for him to learn how to be a responsible adult. Oh, he'll test your resolve for awhile, but bite the bullet %26amp; let him be late a few times, %26amp; things might get worse before they get better, but it's better he learn this now than later on in life when he keeps getting fired from jobs that he's always late for.





If I didn't make my point with you just read the answer from ';Meticulous'; . That's your future if you do nothing!
I agree with the alarm clocks %26amp; knock on the door %26amp; double check that they R out of bed %26amp; rolling toward out the front door. 16 YRS old may be a little old 2 snatch the covers off of. MOM might find the hormonal surprize she may not want 2 C.





Good Luck,





Mira
My son is 12 and he is difficult to get up some mornings. Boys at that age need extra sleep as he is still ';growing'; so to speak. I turn on the light and shake him first...if that doesn't work then I go back in and throw the covers off...and then if that doesn't work then I go in and tell him that he just missed the bus and he will be walking to school since he wouldn't get up on time. Usually works like a charm...LOL
hmmmmm..TEENS???.AM OVER IT..STILL MY MOM OR DAD WAKES ME UP....AND I GOT TO SLEEP AGAIN WEN THEY ARE GONE........HAHAHA...HI BT ITS GOOD THAT U SHOULD WAKE UP UR CHILDREN...IS'NT THAT GOOD??MAKE UR CHILDREN FEEL UR NEED...TELL THEM ALTHOUGH THEY'VE GROWN OLD BUT STILL THEY ARE KIDS FOR THE PArents.....





ALTHOUGH I GET UP SOMETIMES SELF WEN HAVE AN EXAM OR SOME FUNCTION IN COLLEGE OR A TRIP.....BUT REST OF DAYS..ITS PARENTS WHO HAVE TO DO IT!!...


AND I LOVE THEM FOR THIS!!!
Sign them up with http://snoozester.com
I bought both my girls a clock and had them get themselves up but then i always had mine set also to just make sure they didn't over sleep, then when they got older, i didn't even set mine, they got up and out the door, if they were late they had to deal with it, they need to show some responsibility also.

No comments:

Post a Comment